Muskrats make a great meal. The meat is soft and dark. The taste is very mild. There isn’t really a gamey taste to the meat. The muskrat rear-legs resemble that of buffalo chicken wings and can be prepared to resemble such. The following quick recipe is the way that Ellen and I have prepared our Muskrat Wings.
- Remove rear legs from muskrat. Use running water and clean the muskrat rear legs of hair and trim off fat.
- Make a brine solution (1 TBS of salt to 1 quart of water). Soak muskrat meat overnight. Soaking the meat is highly recommended. What gamey taste the muskrat has will be diminished by the brine soak.
- Remove the meat from the brine solution and pat the wings dry.
- In a separate bowl, mix ¼ cup of flower with salt, pepper, chili powder, and other desired seasonings. This will be the breading for the meat.
- Roll the wings in the breading until completely coated.
- Heat up an oiled skillet.
- Add the meat to the skillet. Cook the wings thoroughly, about 15 to 20 minutes on each side.
Use or create your favorite dipping sauce. A mixture of mayonnaise, Red Hot, mustard, and horseradish tasted great with our muskrat wings.
Serve with potatoes and veggies.